Best Grab-n-Go Snacks for OTR Truck Driving Jobs
Eating healthy is one of the biggest challenges of OTR truck driving jobs. Without a full kitchen and limited space in the truck, it may seem as though fast food is your only option. However, that’s simply not true! You just need to get better acquainted with the best grab-n-go snacks for those with OTR truck driving jobs. Here are six of them:
- Nuts and seeds: Because of the high fat content in nuts and seeds, some people debate whether these actually make for a healthy snack. Rest assured that the fat is mostly monounsaturated fat, which is good enough for you that it may reduce your risk for heart disease! Just like everything else, eating these in moderation is the key. Choose unsalted varieties to help limit your sodium intake.
- Fruit: Whether fresh in season or freeze-dried, eating fruit is an excellent way to satisfy your sweet tooth with something healthier than a transfat-filled pastry or donut. Bananas, apples and grapes are particularly easy to transport and require no preparation to eat. If you opt for dried apricots, mangoes, cranberries, or other fruit, be careful what you choose; some brands pack in way too much sugar.
- Veggies: Carrots and celery sticks are some of the easiest grab-n-go veggies for those with OTR truck driving jobs. A container of hummus or peanut butter serves as a healthier dip option than ranch dressing. Plus, hummus comes in a variety of tasty flavors.
- Protein bars: It’s the perfect alternative to a candy bar if you want something sweet. Plus, protein bars keep you feeling fuller longer and don’t pack all the sugar of a candy bar. Compare labels before you buy to find one with the most protein and the least amount of fat and sugar.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Without a kitchen to cook fresh eggs, pack a container of hard-boiled eggs to supply you with a quick low-calorie, high-protein snack to boost your energy level.
- String cheese: This quick snack goes anywhere your OTR truck driving jobs take you. Pair it with a piece of fruit for a healthy, vitamin-rich snack.
Fill your truck with these easy grab-n-go snacks so you can reach for a healthy bite between meals. For more information on OTR truck driving jobs with Transport America, visit our website and connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.